152: Don’t Follow Your Passions with Ajit Nawalkha of Mindvalley
“You’re most likely living a reflection of what’s around you.” - Ajit Nawalkha
Is success difficult to achieve?
We grow up in a society, or family, that tells us a specific definition of success and then our adult life has us steering the ship toward that target point. During the journey, we think about the destination which, in turn, entirely removes us from the moment (where success actually lives.)
The question becomes: how do we reorient our definition?
On today’s episode of Personal Development Without The Fluff, we are joined by entrepreneur, speaker, coach, and author—Ajit Nawalkha—to discuss success. Ajit co-founded the company Mindvalley and is the author of Live Big. In this episode, he debunks some myths around success, and why we must separate our passions from our interests or what it is that's exciting us in the moment.
Tune in to this conversation, so you can more purposefully pursue your future!“Purpose is not where you get to. Purpose is where you are.” - Ajit Nawalkha
The Cliff Notes:
- Distinguish between external success and the feelings of internal success
- Nail down your definition of success before pursuing any specific way of life
- Don’t fall into the trap of listening to the highlight reels of external messaging
- Start your side business while you still have your job
- Let your dream build you instead of trying to build your dream
- Separate passions from interests or things you’re excited about
- Find the things that have stuck with you for a very long time
- Understand that not all passions are profitable
- Research shows higher depression rates in entrepreneurs
- Set long-term goals – life is not year-to-year